Call for PhD Research Scholarship
|Funding Reference Number:
The Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT) opens a call for 1 (one) research grant, hereinafter referred to as a PhD Research Grant, in the fields of Electrical Engineering/Informatics Engineering/Mathematics , complying with the provisions of the FCT Regulation for Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) and the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (EBI).
The scholarships will be financed by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) ) under the Collaboration Protocol for Financing the Multiannual Plan for Research Grants for Doctoral Students, signed between FCT and the Research & Development (R&D) Unit Instituto de Telecomunicações UIDB/50008/2020.
Networks and Multimedia
Network Architectures and Protocols – Cv
The following citizens may apply to this call:
• National citizens or citizens from other member-states of the European Union;
• Third-party states citizens;
• Stateless individuals;
• Citizens holding a political refugee status.
To apply for the PhD scholarship, the candidate must:
• Be a bachelor or master in the scientific area required for the research grant or in related areas, with a minimum grade of 14. In the case of holders of a bachelor's degree, it is necessary to present a statement attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the scientific council of the organic unit in which they intend to be admitted;
• Not having benefited from a prior PhD grant or a PhD in industry grant directly funded by FCT, regardless of its duration;
Application’s admissibility requirements
It is mandatory, under penalty of non-admissibility, that the candidate attaches the following documents to the application:
• Information of the identity card / citizen card / passport;
• Updated version of the Curriculum Vitae (CV);
• Work plan to be developed, with the following mandatory elements: title; abstract; key words; state-of-the-art; research problems, questions and objectives; work plan; detailed schedule and execution indicators; framework and relevance to the research activities plan of the Instituto de Telecomunicações; references (maximum of seven pages);
• An opinion and statement of agreement from the supervisor and eventual co-supervisor (s) appointed to monitor the candidate's activity. The supervisor must be PhD holder and a member of the Instituto de Telecomunicações, Covilhã branch;
• Full course transcripts and academic degree certificates, indicating the final grade and, if possible, the final classification of the completed disciplines. If the certificates cannot be presented by the end of the application period, the candidate must upload a signed declaration of honour stating that the candidate will complete the bachelor's or master's degree by the date of contract signature during September, 2020. Failure to produce the certificates by this date eliminates the candidate.
• Registration of the recognition of foreign academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions, and registration of the conversion of the respective final grade to the Portuguese grading scale, or, alternatively, the candidate's declaration of honor confirming that he will obtain the recognition of the foreign degree equivalent to that of a bachelor or master by the contract signature date stated above;
• Motivation letter;
• Present/prepare and submit the application and all related documents, including motivational letter, in Portuguese or in English.
Regarding the admissibility requirements mentioned above, the following should be noted:
• In the case of foreign academic degrees, and to guarantee the application of the principle of equal treatment among applicants with national and foreign academic degrees, it is mandatory to submit the recognition of foreign degrees and the conversion of the respective final grade to the Portuguese grading scale.
The recognition of foreign academic degrees and diplomas, and the conversion of the respective final grade to the Portuguese grading scale, can be issued by any Portuguese public higher education institution, or in case of automatic recognition by the Directorate General for Higher Education (Direção Geral do Ensino Superior, DGES). Regarding this matter, it is suggested to visit the DGES portal through the following address: http://www.dges.gov.pt.
• Applicants will be admitted only if they have completed the study cycle leading to a bachelor's or master's degree by the end of the application period and have uploaded the certificates of completion of the course. Candidates will be admitted also if they upload a declaration of honor stating that they will have completed the necessary qualifications for the purposes of the competition by the end of the contract signature date stated above. The granting of the scholarship always depends on the presentation of proof of holding the academic qualifications necessary for granting the scholarship.
The work plan must fall strictly within the scientific areas defined in Section 3. It must be in line with the mission of Instituto de Telecomunicações, contribute to the development of its R&D strategic plan, and must be supported and supervised by one of IT-Covilhã’s doctoral members (https://www.it.pt/ITSites/Members/6). The work plan document must contain, necessarily, all the elements indicated in Section 4.2 of this notice. The evaluation criteria to be applied is provided in Section 6.
The present call is governed by this Notice of the Call, the FCT Regulation of Research Fellowships, approved by the Regulation no. 950/2019, published in the Series II of the DR, of 16th December, by the Research Fellowship Holder Statute, approved by the Law no. 40/2004, of 18th of August, in its current version, and by other applicable national and European legislation.
|Place of work:
The PhD research grant aims to finance the research activities, by the grant holder, to obtain a PhD degree from FEUBI/FCUBI, University of Beira Interior. These research activities will take place at the Instituto de Telecomunicações, at the Covilhã branch, which will be the host institution for the scholarship holders, without prejudice to the work that may be carried out in collaboration with more than one institution.
The research activities of the selected grant holder leading to the PhD academic degree must be framed in the activities plan and strategy of the Instituto de Telecomunicações, and must be developed within the scope of the following Doctoral Program:
- Doctoral Program in Informatics Engineering, FEUBI, University of Beira Interior.
- Doctoral Program in Electrical and Computers Engineering, FEUBI, University of Beira Interior.
- Doctoral Program in Mathematics and Applications
As a rule, the duration of the grant is annual, renewable up to a maximum of four years (48 months), and the grant cannot be awarded for a period of less than 3 consecutive months.
The payment of the scholarship will begin after returning the signed contract to FCT, which should happen within the 15 business days after its delivery.
The scholarship granted in this call will be financed by FCT using the State Budget fund and, whenever eligible, using the European Social Fund (ESF), under the PORTUGAL2020 programme, in particular, under Programa Operacional Regional do Norte (NORTE 2020), Programa Operacional Regional do Centro (Centro 2020) and Programa Operacional Regional do Alentejo (Alentejo 2020), according to the respective requirements.
Scholarship holders receive a monthly maintenance allowance in accordance with the table in Annex I of the RBI.
The scholarship may include additional allowances, according to RBI’s Article no. 18 and the values indicated in its Annex II.
All scholarship holders have a personal accident insurance related to their research activities, which FCT will support.
All scholarship holders who do not benefit from any social protection regime have the right to social security through the voluntary social insurance regime, under the terms of the Contributory Scheme of the Social Security System. FCT will ensure the charges resulting from contributions under the terms and with the limits provided in Article no. 10 of the EBI.
Each criteria, and the final classification F will be evaluated in a scale (0-20). The candidates will be ordered according to:
F = C1 x 60% + C2 x 10% + C3 x 30%
In case of a tie, the tied candidates will be ordered according to C1, then C2...
The Jury has the right to not admit any of the candidates that applied for this position whenever they consider that no candidate meets the minimum requirements for the position.
|Communication of the results:
The results of the evaluation are communicated via e-mail to the e-mail address used by the applicant to create the application account in the Insitituto de Telecomunicações web system.
The research grant contracts are signed directly with FCT.
The following documents are mandatory, upon granting of the scholarship, for hiring purposes:
a) Copy of the documents of personal identification, tax number and, if applicable, social security ;
b) Copy of the academic degree certificates;
c) Submission of the recognition of foreign academic degrees and the conversion of the respective final grade to the Portuguese grading scale, if applicable;
d) Document proving the acceptance and registration in the Doctoral Program identified in this Notice;
e) Supervisor(s) statement declaring the commitment to supervise the PhD work, as established in Article no. 5-A of the Statute for Research Fellowships (template will be made available by FCT);
f) Document proving the candidate's acceptance by Instituto de Telecomunicações, guaranteeing the necessary conditions for its successful development, as well as the fulfilment of the duties provided for in article 13 of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (template will be made available by FCT);
g) Updated document proving the exclusive work regime (template will be made available by FCT).
The scholarship granting is further dependent on:
• The fulfilment of all the requirements listed in this Notice of the Call;
• The results of scientific evaluation;
• The absence of unjustified non-compliance of the grant holder duties during previous directly or indirectly FCT funded fellowships;
• The FCT's available budget.
Failure to deliver any of the necessary documents to complete the hiring process by the end of September 2020 may imply the expiration of the referred grant and the termination of the process.
The whole selection process is conducted through the IT web portal. No actions outside this platform are valid.
All the selection process is conducted through the IT web portal. No actions outside this platform are valid.
13-11-2020 to 30-11-2020